Inside the Chinese Singaporean – The evolution of our culture and heritage
The Chinese Singaporean identity today is a result of generations of intercultural influences. Through a walking trail of buildings, arts and food, we will bring you on a journey of discovery, to find out the level of ‘chinese-ness’ Singaporean Chinese are.
In partnership with the Singapore Chinese Culture Centre, starting off with the SINGAPO人 permanent exhibition which sets the context of the tour, we continue exploring the themes of the exhibition zones by embarking on a walking trail to Telok Ayer – the backbone of development of the Chinese migrant community in early Singapore.
- What Makes Us, “Us” – Behind the skyscrapers, conserved buildings, sculptures and green spaces is the story of how urban planners shape our Singapore image on the global stage;
- Beyond Generations – What roles did clans play in shaping the Chinese Singaporean identity and how much of these remains for us?
- When Cultures Meet – How did a Methodist church and mosque come to be in the heart of Telok Ayer? What role does a Chinese temple play in the past and present
- Made in Singapore – Do you know that local favourite Hainanese Chicken Rice is a made in Singapore dish? Indulge in some local delicacies and learn about their origins.
Starting Point: Singapore Chinese Culture Centre Lobby Level 1 (1 Straits Boulevard, Singapore 018906)
Ending Point: Lau Pa Sat Food Center
- Every 2nd Saturday, 1000-1300hrs (English)
- Every last Saturday, 1000-1300hrs (Chinese)
A minimum of 6 pax is required for the tour to commence. In the event this is not met, we will inform registered participants at least 2 days prior to the date of tour.
This tour is non refundable or exchangeable 2 days prior to the date of tour.
Details & Images
MORE DETAILS ABOUT THE TOUR
Why Join This Tour
- Explore the identities and culture of the Singaporean Chinese
- Learn how Singapore preserve its heritage and roots while advancing towards the future.
- Deepen appreciation and understanding of our local buildings, sculptures, and food
MEET YOUR CHIEF
In 2020 when Tribe was creating different new genres and tour formats, Mr. Versatile gamely undertook all the different content, formats, styles and skills to avail himself for the new tours. For more, https://mothership.sg/2021/03/klook-tours-singapore/. Post 2020, Boon is an expert livestream guide, has decent skills in phone photography, gamemaster and storytelling skills, and is a market and hawker centre expert especially in Chinatown. At the onset, Boon exudes calm but also a rather serious demeanour. But if you know Boon the way we do, he is full of jokes and one has to be sharp to pick up his witty banter.
See Full Profile